JUW Central Library
Our society is under growing a process of rapid change refers to the just a position of various images of social, economic and political life. It is believed that information and knowledge are distinguishing features of modern society and main driver of this change is the growing use of libraries.
“Libraries defines, develop and measure out comes that contribute to institutional effectiveness and apply findings for purposes of continuous improvement”
As an integral part of the campus our library will be profoundly affected by changes in the current knowledge based societies by creating changes in higher education, the new students centered paradigm and new learning and teaching approaches have also created.
“Libraries articulate how they contribute to the student learning, collect evidence, document success, share results and make improvements”
Not only we provide the facility of central library, many departments of the University have their own seminar libraries.
Central library in housed in a separate building contains over “45000” physical books of management, social & natural sciences for example Computer Science and Information Technology, Business Administration, Media Studies, Pharmacy, Physical Sciences, Urdu and English Literature, History, Commerce, Economies etc.
Various sections of the Library design and conduct their respective operations in accordance with these strategic aims when developing aims and objectives for their day-to-day activities and other projects.
Our library comprises on six sections:
- Business Administration, Commerce & Economics Reading Room
- Students/ Faculty Computer Lab
- Newspapers and Magazines
The library staff endeavors to enrich library with latest editions with the consultation of faculty members. Following are the functions of acquisition section.
- Cataloging & Classification
- Selection of Suppliers or Vendor
- Seeking Gifts or Donations for library in form of cash or kind
- Selection: The acquisition section plays an important role in the collection. Acquisition means to acquire and process the library material after selection. It depends on the needs and demands of the faculty as well as other students and for the size of the material’s budget. This will give the faculty a prominent role in selecting library materials. Argument based on the fact that.
- Subject Experts
- Course Teachers
Demand is the basic factor in selection; these demands are collected from various sources;
- Complain register also displayed in the main entrance in Circulation and Reference Sections.
- The user’s students write down their needs on it. That is a basic source to know the user’s demands.
- Identify from the heads of the Institutes / Departments.
- Statistics relating to book’s circulation (book cards).
- Suggestion from the reader.
- Suggestion from the library staff working at the circulation counter.
- Cataloging & classification:
All the book materials or non-book materials are Classify according to “Dewy Decimal Classification Scheme” 22nd edition and the AACR2 (Anglo American Cataloging Rules 2) use for Cataloging.
- Selection of book supplier or vendor: The librarian selects a book supplier and vendor for the services provided as well for the discount offers. Discount emphasized, and services suffer a bit situation. If in a bid situation required, and book suppliers, give an order to a reliable vendor and book suppliers according to their good services, as well as discount they offer. After receiving documents, we check all bibliographical details from the documents according to the order form. Such as Author, Title, Edition, Publisher, Year, Bindings, ISBN, Price and discount offered by the book suppliers and vendors.
- Seeking Gifts or donations:
We are receiving books and other materials as a gift or donation by various institutions or persons. Our donors are; Zubaida Islamia Kutub Khana, Pro. Dr. Riaz Ahmed Hashmi, Dr. Abd-ul-Salam, Ms Hira Manan, Sh. Abd-ul-Quddus, Abdur Rehman, Ms Raveeha Tariq, Ms. Gulnaz Altaf.
All requested users are entitled to borrow materials from the library. Borrowing privileges may differ depending on the membership category.
Note: On a special request, Librarian can issue additional books for a limited period of time to the faculty.
The following categories will be entitled for membership of the library
- All regular students
- Faculty members
- Teaching Assistants
- Administrative staffThe University library shall provide the services to its members as per following procedure.
- Students borrower card are issued at the circulation desk from 09:00 am to 05:00 pm.
- Students should bring the following when applying for library borrower card; Passport size photograph, Student Fee Card, Admission Slip.
- Every respective member shall submit a properly filled membership card along with an Office Order for staff only (visiting Staffs are not illegible for membership).
- Safe custody of the membership card shall be the sole responsibility of the member. In case of loss of the membership card, the member will be required to submit a fine of Rs. 100/.
- All members shall return the membership card to the library on the completion of study/leaving the university or would pay a fine of Rs. 50 in lieu thereof.
||Day / Month (of loan period)
||Head of Department
||Graduate / PG
CONDITIONS OF BORROWING
- All books / documents must be returned on or before the due date.
- Book(s) will be renewed only if there is no reservation.
- Books have to be presented physically at the counter for renewal.
- For late return of books/documents overdue charges will be levied as per library rules.
- Books returned without payment of overdue charges, shall be treated as due against concerned member until he / she will not deposit the overdue charges.
- Members are requested to collect the receipts of the overdue charges paid by them.
- Members are requested to check the condition of books / documents / CDs before getting them issued.
- Damages must be pointed out the counter staff in writing, failing which the member concerned i.e. the last borrower will be considered responsible for the damage.
LOSS OF BOOK
- Loss of any book borrowed must be reported immediately at the library circulation counter in writing.
- The member who lost the book have to replace it with the last edition along with overdue charges (if any) or have to pay the price of book as per University rules.
JUW DATABASE: The library has its own database named JLMS (Jinnah Library Management System). This Database has been designed by “IT Department” of Jinnah University based on SQL server 2000.It has updated time to time.
The Reference Section consists of two sub sections:
- References: “Reference section at the library has various books that are sources of information about different subjects. It includes Dictionaries, Encyclopedia, Maps, Atlas and other informative books. Most books in the reference section may not be taken out, so that they are always available to those who need them”
- Special Library Material: JUW Library subscribed foreign and local journals. Those are displayed in “Reference Section”
- Reading Rooms: Reference Section has a “Faculty of Science, Pharmacy & Arts Reading Room”. Courses supported books are available here. All the books are used within the premise of the “Reference Section.”
|4. FACULTY OF BUSINESS ADMIN., COMMERCE & ECONOMIC READING ROOM:
Faculty of Business Administration Reading Room in “A Block”. Courses supported books are available in the reading rooms. All the books are used within the Library premise.
|5. STUDENTS COMPUTER LAB / FACULTY COMPUTER LAB:
The library also provides internet facility to students and teachers. In order to keep the place with the advance communication technology in electronic information area, computer networking cell of “Jinnah University for Women” has established an internet lab for students and faculty. This section also provides printout and Photostat services.
- Internet lab administrator shall check the ID cards of students.
- Only University students are eligible to use the Internet facility free of cost.
- The Internet may be used by students for 30 minutes only.
- Chatting, messaging and mobile messaging are not allowed.
- Users shall be penalized for browsing obnoxious materials.
JUW allows access to National digital library facilitated by HEC. It provides e-databases, e-books and open access journals, articles on various disciplines. which help the researches and students to get their required information easily.
Link to HEC National digital library Jinnah University for Women is http://www.digitallibrary.edu.pk/jinnahwomenkhi.html
Other Facilities Provided By Library:
Six photocopier machines are installed in the library in order to facilitate students.
|6. NEWSPAPERS AND MAGAZINES SECTION:
This Section contains newspaper, magazines, digest and other publications that are published on a periodic basis rather than just at one time. About 09, daily newspapers of both Urdu and English are subscribed for the library. On the increased demand from students, some magazines, English novels and digests are subscribed. Novels are available in English and Urdu Languages.
Local Newspaper Subscribed
- Daily Dawn
- Business Recorder
- Daily Jang
- Jahan e Pakistan
- Daily Pakistan
- Daily Ausaf
- Akhbar-e-Jahan (weekly magazine Urdu)
- Family weekly Magazine (Urdu)
LIBRARY WORKING HOURS
- All Section of the JUW Library will remain open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (Except Saturday &Sunday)
LIBRARY RULES & REGULATIONS
MISUSE OF LIBRARY PRIVILEGES: Use of library material is based on honor policy. Taking out a book, periodical or any other material from library at any time, for any purpose, by any body without getting it recorded at the circulation counter is violation of the honor policy. Any misuse of the library privilege or misbehavior would be considered a breach of discipline and necessary action will be taken. Penalty for seeking or attempt to seek double membership through wrong declaration will be Rs 100/.
DAMAGE TO BOOKS OR LIBRARY PROPERTY: Any damage to reading material like stains, marking, writing up, tracing, dog-earing and physical injuries constitute damage which shall be made good to the satisfaction of the Director / Librarian within the stipulated time limit, otherwise the member concerned shall have either to replace the book with a new copy or pay double the price of the book.
BY-LAWS: The member who will be defaulter for more than one month may be refused for the service and in case of long defaults the membership privileges may be withdrawn.
CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE: All issued items are the property of the library and are to be returned. Due (if any) paid and a clearance certificate be obtained at least one week before appearing in the University Examination or before the member (including staff & faculty members) leaves his / her institution.
FOR THE KIND ATTENTION OF ALL LIBRARY USERS:
- The library rules may be altered or amended or new rules may be added to the existing ones by the library authority without any notice to the members and any such alteration, amendment and new rules shall be effective binding on all concerned.
- On violation of library rules or misconduct of any reader, the library authorities can withdraw the library facilities to that particular individual.