Zoology is a multidisciplinary subject of nature, including the study of organisms, their morphological and physiological attributes, as well as its role in conservation and management of environment. The mission of Zoology is to provide service to colleges, universities in the field of Genetics, Cytology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Physiology, Ecology, Developmental Biology, Marine biology, Microbiology, Parasitology, Entomology, Freshwater Biology, Fisheries & Aquaculture, and Wildlife and general public areas. Zoology plays a significant role in human resources development, food security, environmental conservation, sustainable development and ultimately in alleviation of poverty.
The Basic objectives of Zoology are as follows;
- To impart knowledge about the major disciplines of Zoology. It enables the students to understand the principles of organizations and inter-relationships in the physiology with particular reference to animal diversity.
- To teach the different techniques of exploration, investigation, research; organization of data and its utilization in Experimentation.
- To aware the students about advancement in studies and specialization on recently emerging technological and multidisciplinary fields. After completion the studies students are able to apply their knowledge to their respective fields effectively.
- To equip students with knowledge and skills for better planning and management of animal resources, environment, health, medicine and agriculture in the country.
- To develop the scientific culture and enhance professional skills in teaching, research and managerial positions in wide range of professions in national and international organizations.
- After obtaining the degrees in Zoology, the graduates able to get jobs in wide range of professions including; positions in various government and non-government organizations; teaching and research; administration and management; forestry; Marine department; pharmaceutical industry; Pathological Labs; agriculture sectors; biological control program; integrated pest management; poultry; wildlife; aquaculture; fisheries, livestock and other strategic areas.
- At present in Zoology Department runs two fields of specialization including Applied Zoology and Fisheries and Aquaculture with established Labs and expertise.
- The mission or vision of Zoology department harmonized with the vision of Jinnah University for Women for increasing the professional skills and innovative standards of women education in Pakistan.